Where the child's interest inspires great work
Maitri Learning creates educational materials that are research-based, accurate, beautiful, durable, and usable. Maitri Learning was founded somewhat accidentally by a Montessori teacher who was trying to buy the perfect materials for her classroom and couldn't find them anywhere. Now, the materials she created (based specifically on the precise directions received in her AMI training) are used by Montessori teachers, parents, and teacher trainers around the world. We are named after the Buddhist word maitri which means 'having a compassionate, kind heart.' We keep the principle of maitri at the front of all of our business decisions.
When you order Maitri Learning materials you can be confident that you are receiving materials of the highest educational value. All of our materials are designed by a Montessori teacher and rigorously reviewed and tested by Montessori teacher trainers, teachers, and children before they are offered for sale. Our research-based materials contain exactly what you and your children need and nothing else.
Maitri is a green, eco-friendly, fair-wage, right-livelihood, woman-owned business. We pay all of our employees at least $15/hour, which should be our country's national minimum wage. Our prices reflect these fair labor costs along with the higher costs of environmentally-sound paper, toxin-free laminate, and inks made without ozone-depleting substances.
$18.95 USD $9.50 USD
I just got off the phone with Shannon Helfrich, a Montessori primary teacher trainer and one of my mentors (how lucky am I). She was kind enough to review the new Word Study materials and Phonogram Charts we are creating (coming soon!). When we were chatting, we spoke about how best to first introduce all the word study work. It's not via the writing and reading lessons we give but instead, it's through spoken language presentations.
That's right, the foundations for all the great, deep reading comprehension and expression that we hope to nurture in our children is based squarely on talking. But not just any kind of talking; talking in precise, planned, and repeatable ways.
For the last five years ago, I've been working with Zanetti public Montessori school in Springfield, MA to start and run a student and family orientation program. We just completed its fifth year... it is such a success that teacher's continue to donate two days of their prep time each August to keep it going. The big benefits are:
- New preschoolers feel comfortable the first day of school
- Families understand the logistics of drop-off/pick-up, backpack contents, and school communication
- Families are much more supportive in helping their children get enough sleep and exercise outside of school
- Families are more willing to reduce screen time (YES)
- Children are supported by families as they learn to be more independent in daily living tasks
- Children are invited more into the daily tasks of maintaining a home (e.g., folding laundry, making meals, cleaning up, etc.)
- Teachers get to screen new students to make sure they are school ready (e.g., they can toilet independently)
- Teachers get to screen new students for possible individualized educational support (e.g., speech therapy, occupational therapy)