Traditional Movable Alphabet
Are your children able to hear all of the sounds in words when you play the Sound Game? Do they know their pink, blue, and green sandpaper letters? Can they tell you little stories/give you news about their life, their interests? Then it's time for movable alphabet work!
- Choose from any of our three Montessori fonts (to match your sandpaper letters)
- Fully laminated with rounded corners (to acknowledge the tactile sensitivities of those small hands)
- All letters are printed on only one side to isolate the lower-case letter
- Cards are approx. 1.25"W x 2"H and are eco-printed on only one-side (to isolate the difficulty)
- Includes 20 of each vowel, 20 each of the high frequency consonants n, r, s, and t, and 10 each of all other consonants...plenty of letters to write everything they like!
- Consonants are pink and vowels are blue to match the sandpaper letters
- Comes with a powerful lesson plan that will bring the alphabet work to life
- Pair this with our Phonogram Alphabet (sold separately) so your child can choose from all of the key sounds of English
- Fits into egg-cartons or a craft box (see note below); box not included
This is a classic Montessori material designed to help children reproduce words with symbols even before their hands can manage a pencil. With a selection of letters before them, children do not need to sort through their entire memory of written symbols (which include numbers and graphical representations) to find what they seek. With just 26 letters to choose from, their possibility of phonetically spelling the word they have in mind increases dramatically. Thus, we can give children a gradual, gentle path to follow as they learn to create words. They can take baby steps, build on their success, and build their confidence along the way.
Created by a Montessori teacher. Eco-printed by parents/teachers/students in our rural New England office.
If you'd rather craft these yourself, you can purchase a Digital File ready to print and cut.
Made in the USA.
Item #: MATR
Cloth Pouches: Our favorite way to house and display our alphabets is in our Alphabet Cloth Pouches. These are color-coded to match your alphabet.
Egg Cartons: Traditional alphabets can be stored and displayed in egg cartons. We recommend placing two plastic cartons (one 18-egg carton and one 12-egg carton) side-by-side and hot gluing the bottoms to a piece of foam board or chipboard. Use the lids to help keep the dust off when the alphabets are not in use.
Craft Box: We like the 40-compartment box available from the Container Store because it has a transparent lid that helps keep the dust out without hiding the letters. Another alternative is a velvet 30 compartment jewelry box (like this one we found on Amazon). We tested it in a public school Montessori classroom it held up well...the children loved to touch its soft sides.
Helpful hint: Whenever you start work with any movable alphabet, remember that the first lesson is how to carry the box, take letters out, and put them back in. Don't be afraid to practice doing this many times before you write a single word.