Home School Starter Set
Do you have one or more children at home that you are educating according to the Montessori language curriculum? Then this package is for you. We'll send you all of the products listed below fully laminated, ready to use, and accompanied by detailed lesson plans. All this plus over a 15% savings off individual prices!
Our homeschool collection includes the basics of what you need to get started:
- Muriel Dwyer's booklet: A Path for the Exploration of Any Language
- Our digital e-book on Setting up the Language Area
- Fine art Display Cards: Use these fine art cards to spark conversation and really get your child's expressive language skills working. Plus, they can decorate the room with them!
- Geography Cards-Series 1 plus folders: Use this first collection as a foundation but don't stop there. Encourage the children to use magazines, calendars and the internet to create more scenes from around the world based on their interests (but always be sure to present parallel images from all continents using Series 1 as a guide).
- Matching Cards: Use these for vocabulary building, sorting, matching, and sorting/matching word. We recommend the following five sets; but you can choose the titles that best meet the interests of your children (type in your preference in the notes when you place the order):
- Sandpaper Letters Digital File: Make your own! We recommend cursive.
- Movable Alphabets: We recommend that you use cursive for the traditional and phonogram alphabets and then print for the red and black alphabets (which you start using when the child begins reading).
- Phonetic Reading Cards: Use the photo-only cards first for vocabulary building and sorting work with pre-readers. Then use all three parts when the children first begin to read.
- Level 1: Simplest phonetic words
- Level 2: Longer phonetic words
- Level 3 Group 1: Traditional phonograms
- Puzzle Words
- 3-Part Reading Classification Cards: Use the photo-only cards first for vocabulary building and sorting work with pre-readers. Then, use all three parts when the children are moving beyond phonetic reading.
- Farm Animals (Adult)
- Farm Animals (Juvenile)
- Plant Kingdom
- Function of Words/Grammar Set
- Book, 3-Part Card, & Definition Card Sets
Cloth pouch collection for Homeschool
Add on a set of our Homeschool Collection Cloth Pouches to display and elegantly hold your card materials in your child's learning environment.
- Card and Book materials: HOMSCH-STRT
- Cloth pouch collection: PHOMSCH-STRT
Why we chose these materials
You don't need everything a typical classroom teacher needs because you don't have 30 children in your environment. Instead, you need a good selection of materials to get the work going and then to inspire the children to ultimately create their own materials. This collection is a great way to get them started.
You also don't need vocabulary cards because you can use one set from the matching cards and the photo-only card from the 3-part cards on their own until the children begin reading. In large classrooms, you'll want the vocabulary cards and matching cards out at the same time as the 3-part cards (so the young ones and the older ones might work on the same topic). In home schools, you can rotate.
We've chosen the 3-part and parts of materials you need to spark your study of plants, vertebrates, and insects.
Other things you'll need
In addition (not part of the Maitri Learning collection) to what is included above, you will also need a few other items to make your Montessori language program complete:
- Boxes to hold you movable alphabets (We like the 40-compartment box available from the Container Store because it has a transparent lid that helps keep the dust out without hiding the letters)
- Metal insets
There are also many additional items to make. You can find out more about the language program by reading the following book:
- Montessori Read & Write: A Parent's Guide to Literacy for Children by Lynne Lawrence
And most of all, you'll need paper, pencils, scissors, an appropriate stapler, tape, a hole punch, and all kinds of other craft supplies so that your children can make their own language materials and books!