Sandpaper Letters Digital
Want to make your own materials? These digital file lets you make your own sandpaper letters that match the fonts used in most Montessori classrooms!
- Choose from the two most popular Montessori fonts (print or cursive)
- Includes templates for all 26 letters of our alphabet
- Includes templates for 17 key sounds/phonograms (ai as in paint, ar as in yarn, au as in Paul, ch as in chip, ee as in tree, er as in fern, ie as in pie, ng as in king, oa as in boat, oo as in book, or as in corn, ou as in cloud, oy as in boy, qu as in quick, sh as in ship, th as in moth, ue as in blue)
- Provides specific directions on where to place each letter on its board and the recommended dimensions for each board
If you're not sure which font you need, read our blog post on choosing the right font.
There are many tiny details that go into making the perfect sandpaper letters. For example, aside from getting the letter shapes just right, there is also the placement of each letter on each card and the size of each card. Did you know that the left margins should be wider? This provides a visual support to help the child orient the letter right-side up.
This digital file takes the worry out of making these letters. We've thought of all the details so you can just follow the directions and have fun crafting and then using beautiful letters.
Our detailed instructions explain how to:
- Option 1 (recommended): Make letters from sandpaper
- Option 2: Make letters from felt
- Option 3: Make letters from glue and sand
- Make each letter card the right size
- Orient each letter on the card to optimize the child's ability to trace
The file also includes the most comprehensive sandpaper letter lesson plan available with activities for typical learners, atypical learners, and older learners who need remediation.
For more information on how to use the sandpaper letters, watch the video below and read our blog post on using the sandpaper letters.
Item #: SPL-PDC
How Maitri Digital Works
You can view and print this file for your own personal use using secure software (the LockLizard PDF viewer). Here’s how it works when you purchase this product:
- Immediately receive an email with a link to download the secure PDF file (a .PDC document).
- Within one business day, receive an email with links to (1) install the software required to use the PDC file and (2) activate your license.
- Install the software, activate your license, and view/print your PDC file.
We’ve tested this on our devices, so we know from personal experience that the software is easy and quick to install and the viewer works just like you’d expect a PDF viewer to work. For more information, you can watch this video on how to open a PDC file.
You can activate your license on up to two Mac, Windows, iOS, or Android devices (e.g., your laptop and phone) but you can only print the files from a Mac or Windows PC. Once the software is installed and your files are downloaded, you can view and print the PDC files offline.
Click here to see all the details on our Digital Support page.
Your purchase gives you license to view and print your PDC file for your personal use. You do not have license to copy, sell, or in anyway distribute/share the printed product or the file itself.